Life " Without"

Life without gluten - can be challenging. Life without dairy can also be challenging.
Life without gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, almonds, peanuts, fish, green beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, (and basically all other beans) peas, asparagus, pineapple, honey, and garlic.... iiiis - My life.
And trust me, I know fully well that life with food allergies can be more than challenging.
So to all of you out there who find yourselves in a similar situation. Here's to you. Because I've done it.
And, though it's been quite a journey from the panicked " What am I going to do? I'm hungry , and I CAN'T...EAT... ANYTHING!!! " To learning to calmly ( and pretty downright tastily) live each day. I've had some amazingly tasty breakthroughs in the process.
So, here is my blog. And it is dedicated to all of you other (very) allergic people! I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Home Style Chicken Soup ( GAPS friendly)

When I started the GAPS diet this was my " default food" It's simple, easy, easy on the stomach, and tastes pretty good. It is essentially my grandma's recipe and is thereby, for me, sorta kinda.. well, comfort food. ^_^ You know, the same thing that I would revert to if I felt miserable I had a cold. Homey, and comforting and GAPS friendly. So here it is! Enjoy for what it's worth! =)

You start with the same basic way as making the broth in my earlier post about broth. Use this recipe to get started.
Once you have strained out the chicken and peppercorns. Remove the chicken from the bones and set it aside. I would personally also only use half of the broth from the other recipe to make this soup.. (just set the other half aside and save it for later to drink or use) but that would depend on how brothy vs. hearty you like your soup.


OK, so you have your broth.
Next you add this to it:

1/4 cup of fresh parsley (washed and chopped)

1 medium yellow onion (chopped)

and approximately 1/3- 1/2 cup of the leaves and tender shoots from the inside of the celery. (chopped fine)

Return broth to boil while you chop;

3-4 large carrots (peeled and chopped)


2 medium sized turnips peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes.
IF you are NOT on GAPS... 2-3 medium peeled potatoes could easily be substituted here. =)
(Note, on GAPS she DOES allow turnips.. but if you were starting early on I may replace the turnips with a peeled and chopped zucchini or two instead just to be safe. If you do use zucchini, add them with the tomatoes later on.)

2-3 medium sized tomatoes ( remove seeds and chop into chunks)

1 tsp salt

2 cloves garlic , minced. ( This is optional, but it tastes good X)

1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green beans ( for those who can have them. X)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Add those to the boiling broth. Wait until the broth boils again; reduce the heat, cover it with the lid and allow it to simmer for 30-40 minutes. ( until the carrots and turnips start to become tender)

add:

2-3 medium sized tomatoes ( remove seeds and chop into chunks)

(if you are using zucchini, add it here.)

And the chicken back in.

Cover the soup again and simmer for another 20 minutes or so or until zucchini is tender.
Tada! It's done! Enjoy. (I'll try to get a picture up here shortly. =) )

5 comments:

  1. You are allowed to have garlic again?! And it agrees with you?! 0_o

    If that is true, it's time to have a *Garlic Part-ay*!!!!! Complete with dancing and party hats and the limbo and noise maker thingys, and happiness and GARLIC ... and yea ... I hope my jubilation is not premature.... =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I noticed on your GAPS specific blog, there is not a link on your posts back to the recipes, which are here. The sneaky people (like me) can click on your profile, see that you have another blog and check it out. But maybe you should direct traffic here via a link too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah no... I still cannot have garlic. So sorry to disappoint!
    It was listed as " optional" because I cannot do garlic, and the recipe was my grandmothers. Hence she always added it.. but I made it optional. =)
    Trust me when I say, there will be MUCH fan-fair and rejoicing on the day that I can eat garlic again without any dire consequences! ^_^
    I am far from there yet, but with the GAPS diet I have hopes that it is not an unattainable goal! =)
    I will be sure to invite you to the celebration. ;)

    Thank you for the suggestion! I did post links in my other blog to specific recipes and such on this one. (such as in the fermented vegetable blog to the recipe for fermented vegetables etc.) Were the links not working for you? I know there had been a little difficulty getting them to work properly, so if you could give me any feed back on that I would appreciate it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, okay :(. I will eagerly await our yet-future garlic fanfare!

      And today, on Google-chrome, it seems the link to your other blog is working, so hurrah! Either I was terribly blind the other day, or firefox was glitching out on me (something I find hard to believe, but possible).

      Delete
  4. Oh, good!*wrinkles nose* I'm glad to hear that they are working for you now! =)

    ReplyDelete